You never get a second chance to make a first impression! It’s cliché, but when it comes to selling your home, it is so true. Potential buyers quickly make the decision to consider your home, sometimes before they even get our of the car. What kind of first impression will you home make?
Here is the Gateway Realty Checklist for Getting Your Ready For Sale:
Start at the front curb and just look, better yet, take a before picture:
- Cut the lawn
- Trim Shrubs
- Clean walk and driveway
- Repair gutters, eaves
- Touch up paint
- Consider a new paint job for your front door – polish the doorknob and make it pop!
- Now walk around the house and do the same to the back and side yards. Plus:
- Pick up litter
- Fix the fence – paint if needed
- Repair windows and screens
- Haul away old cars, trucks and equipment (like Glenn’s old broken down tractors!)
Enter the entryway side door, back door and garage – what do you see:
- De-clutter everything!
- Less furniture is better because it makes the home seem more spacious. Put extra furniture in storage
- If you like wild colors, consider painting a neutral color. Fresh paint is inexpensive and can real make a difference
- The Clean Up!
- Shampoo the carpet
- Remove and store most clothes from closets
- Clean and dust everything
- Clean the stairs and hall
- Clean counters and the oven/stove
- Clean bathrooms and laundry room
- Clean the windows inside and out
- General Maintenance:
- Fix cracks and holes in the plaster
- Repair leaky taps and toilets
- Oil squeaky doors
- Replace burned out lights
Once the house is ready for sale, you have some more work to do each time it will be shown:
- Turn on lights
- Open drapes during the day
- Light the fireplace
- Adjust air conditioning or heat to a comfortable temperature
- Put the dog outside
- Turn on soft music
- Turn on all the lights
- Baking something delicious, like cookies, if you have time
When you list your home with Gateway Realty, we will give you a list of simple and easy things you can do to enhance your home’s appeal. The busiest time for showings is right when the house goes on the market, so do the work well ahead of time!
We will market your home, but it’s up to you to make your home marketable! Prepare your house for sale properly and you will see a big return on investment!